Sony makes it straightforward to improve storage (and protect information)
It isn’t sufficient to have nice new gadgets, apps, and video games — you additionally need to know tips on how to use them. Right here at The Verge, we provide step-by-step how-tos for knowledgeable and new customers who’re working with on-line, macOS, Home windows, Chrome OS, iOS, and Android apps, providers, telephones, laptops, and different instruments. From easy directions on tips on how to set up and use new gadgets, to little-known methods on tips on how to reap the benefits of hidden options and the most effective strategies for including energy or storage, we’ve received your technological again.
In case you have an in depth sport library to your PlayStation four Professional, chances are you’ll be enthusiastic about rising the scale of your PS4 Professional’s laborious drive (and thus, your sport library). Should you’ve by no means tinkered with a sport console earlier than, don’t fear. Sony makes it pretty easy to take away and substitute your inventory laborious drive, in addition to restore your information to a brand new laborious drive. And we’re going to run you thru all of the steps to make it even simpler.
Earlier than you start, you’re going to wish a number of objects to make the substitute a straightforward and protected course of to your prized sport console.
First, you’ll need a Phillips screwdriver, a brand new 2.5-inch laborious drive (we suggest the Seagate 2TB FireCuda Gaming SSHD for $99.99), a totally empty USB-A thumb drive with at the least 1.1GB of obtainable storage for the system reinstall, a separate pc, your controller’s charging cable, and eventually, a USB drive with sufficient area to again up all of your video games, saved information, person accounts, and themes.
The backup course of is quicker if you don’t embody all of the video games out of your earlier drive. Don’t fear, you’ll be able to nonetheless obtain them from the PS Retailer once more or reinstall them utilizing the sport’s disc in a while. Nonetheless, if in case you have a sport that may’t be downloaded once more, like Hideo Kojima’s well-known PT demo — which is now not out there on the PS Retailer — then you need to positively again it up.
(In case you have a PS4 reasonably than PS4 Professional, eradicating the laborious drive entails completely different steps. You possibly can learn to take away the HDD to your particular mannequin of PS4 through Sony’s help web page.)
Again up your video games, saves, and accounts
- From the PS dwelling display screen, navigate to “Settings,” then scroll down and choose “System.”
- Scroll down till you attain “Again Up and Restore” and choose it. On the following display screen, choose “Again Up PS4.” It’s best to arrive at a display screen asking you to pick which objects to again up.
- Insert your USB drive (be sure that it has sufficient area to facilitate the info migration).
- Choose the person verify containers for the info you’d wish to again up. You may as well deselect or choose particular person video games and demos by selecting “Functions” from the checklist.
- When you’ve settled on what to again up, choose “Subsequent.” You’ll see the scale of the backup file, and the identify of the backup (which you’ll be able to edit, if you’d like). When you’re carried out, choose “Again Up.” At this level, don’t take away the USB drive out of your console or shut it off for any cause.
- Now you wait. The PS4 Professional will switch the information to the linked USB system, shut down, after which reboot in a couple of minutes, finishing the backup course of.
Create a USB drive for the software program reinstall
- Utilizing a separate pc, head to Sony’s web site to obtain the PlayStation four Professional’s system software program. For some unusual cause, Sony provides its replace and system software program the identical file names, which is complicated, to say the least. Be sure you scroll all the best way down to the part heading “Easy methods to replace.” Click on on “Carry out a brand new set up of the system software program” and search for “Obtain now.” Try to be downloading a .PUP file that’s roughly 820MB (an replace file, which is what you don’t need, will in all probability be smaller).
- In your pc desktop, create a folder titled “PS4” (case delicate). Inside your new “PS4” folder, create one other named “UPDATE.” Take care to make sure there aren’t any areas within the file names and that you just solely use capital letters. Drag and drop the system file you downloaded earlier (do not rename it) into the “UPDATE” folder.
- Insert your USB drive into your pc. Drag and drop the “PS4” folder to your empty USB drive.
- Maintain your USB drive with the reinstall information in a protected place. You’ll want it to revive your PS4 Professional after you put in the brand new laborious drive.
Substitute the laborious drive
- Utterly energy off your PS4 Professional by holding down the PS button on the DualShock four controller, scrolling right down to “Energy,” and deciding on the choice to close down.
- Unplug all cables, together with the facility jack, from the unit. On the again, left-hand facet of the console, you’ll see a tough plastic cowl. Apply reasonable drive to the quilt and pull it off.
- Utilizing your Phillips-head screwdriver, loosen the PlayStation-branded screw that retains the laborious drive tray locked in place. Reserve it in a protected place; you’ll want it throughout reassembly later.
- Gently pull the tray out of the console. Subsequent, utilizing your Phillips screwdriver, unscrew the 4 screws holding the inventory laborious drive within the tray. Take nice care to not scratch or drop the laborious drive within the course of.
- Take your new laborious drive and place it within the tray. Align the 4 corners of the drive with the holes within the tray. Then screw in every of the 4 drive tray screws till the brand new laborious drive is snugly in place.
- Be certain that the SATA connectors are aligned with the console (you’ll be able to take a look at the top of the drive and contained in the console to creating positive they match), after which slowly slide the drive tray again in.
- With the final and largest screw, safe your new drive to the PS4 Professional’s chassis. End up by placing the plastic cowl again in place in order that the drive bay will not be uncovered.
Reinstall your system software program
- Flip your PS4 system utterly off (in order that it’s not in Relaxation Mode, however a full shutdown). Make sure that the facility indicator isn’t lit. Whether it is, contact the facility button for at the least seven seconds till the system beeps for a second time.
- Take the USB drive on which you saved the PS4 system information and insert it into any of the PS4 Professional’s out there USB-A ports. Contact and maintain the facility button for at the least seven seconds, till the PS4 Professional begins in protected mode.
- Join your DualShock four controller to the console utilizing a Micro USB cable. Press the PS button on the controller, then choose the choice “[Initialize PS4 (Reinstall System Software)]” by urgent the “X” button.
- Observe the screens to finish the replace and permit the PS4 to unpack, set up, restart, and are available to an initialization display screen, simply as if you powered on the console for the very first time.
- Aspect be aware: In case your PS4 system doesn’t acknowledge the replace information, double verify the folder names (which ought to be in uppercase letters) and file identify of the replace (which you shouldn’t have modified). Just remember to used a USB drive with no different information on it in addition to the downloaded .PUP file, and that you just’re utilizing the right system software program and never simply an replace file.
Restore your information to your new drive
- Should you adopted the steps appropriately and all the pieces went easily, you need to now be requested to signal into your PlayStation account utilizing the setup wizard. Skip via most of it (you’ll be overwriting it together with your outdated information anyway) till you arrive on the acquainted PS dwelling display screen.
- Insert the USB drive together with your backup information.
- Navigate to “Settings,” scroll right down to “System,” then transfer down and choose “Again up and Restore.” Choose the “Restore PS4” choice.
- When you’ve arrived on the “Restore PS4” display screen, you need to see your backed-up information on the inserted USB drive. Choose the backup. You’ll be taken to a affirmation display screen. Take heed of the warning display screen, then choose “Restore.” Don’t take away the USB drive or manually shut off the system for any cause.
- At this level, the PS4 Professional system ought to shut down, apply the replace, restart, and — if all goes properly — show your unique dwelling display screen, together with your accounts, video games, captures, saves, and the like.
Congratulations! You simply expanded the storage of your PS4 Professional and stored your information intact within the course of!
Vox Media has affiliate partnerships. These don’t affect editorial content material, although Vox Media might earn commissions for merchandise bought through affiliate hyperlinks. For extra data, see our ethics coverage.